Sunday, November 17, 2013

Sleep

Last night, Colin and I had a "misunderstanding". He yelled at me a lot as I tried different things to make him stop yelling. He finally stopped mid-yell when he passed out on my chest. I basically won by forfeit, but it still counts in the standings, right?

I knew he was tired, like extra tired, and I tried every solution and combination of solutions that had worked before. Sometimes you just hit all the wrong notes. Luckily for me, and him, and his mom, it was a rare meltdown. Colin is usually cooperative about falling asleep when he's tired.

Once he fell asleep, he stayed asleep for an unusually long 11.5 hours, not counting two breaks at 3:30 a/m/ and 7:30 a.m. when he woke up ravenous and then passed out again after eating. Now he's napping again, a late-morning nap while Holly naps too after her overnight shift.

When everyone who's supposed to be asleep is asleep, it feels like all is right with the world and always must be. And when that is not the case, it can feel like the universe is being unaccountably cruel.

... And now he's up. That was a good stretch, though. Time to put him in his Bumbo chair and give him practice holding his head up. More pictures and less blathering prose to follow, I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment